My host family in Madrid

In January, my mother left Spain and my sister and I moved in with two different families who have children at our school. It has been a busy month of transition (and semester finals) and we both feel very fortunate to be welcomed into such amazing host families.

My first glimpse of my host family was a few days after Christmas when my family was invited to their annual Christmas carol sing along party. The mother, Marta, greeted us with smiles and kisses and introduced us to her husband Philipe, their eight children and numerous friends.

After refreshments and socializing, we gathered in the living room where tambourines and maracas were passed out while the talented musicians grabbed guitars or played a beat box. This was no simple sing along, but an impressive production of beautiful voices, laughter and joy. When they played "Jingle Bells," we did our best to deliver a strong rendition of this American classic. The event concluded with a festive conga line winding through the apartment singing Feliz Navidad. Little did I know I had found the Spanish version of the von Trapp family, and when they offered to be my host family, I was thrilled. If you watch all 30 seconds, you'll see me at the end.


It's been almost a month here and I am having a blast. My host siblings include four older sisters (so much fun), a brother, Felipe, a sister almost my age, Sonsoles, and two younger siblings, Paloma and Fran.

Back row: Almu, Cova, Marta, María, Sonsoles
Front row:  Felipe, Paloma and Fran
Me and Sonsoles in Pamplona

We live in a lovely part of Madrid and in a large apartment consisting of two floors. All the girls sleep in bedrooms on the top floor, which is so practical. It has become surprisingly easy to share my life, meals and activities with so many people. There is no time for boredom in a big family. Last week, we went on a family trip to Pamplona to visit cousins. And although I enjoyed discovering a charming new city, also I loved being with an extended part of my host family.

My host family not only fills their home with music at holidays, but their love for singing and music is apparent in their daily lives, from Spanish music blaring on the car radio to picking up a guitar in the living room and joining in for a few rounds of a favorite song.

The other day, my parents asked why I was texting them at midnight and shouldn't I be in  bed earlier on a school night. Well, the truth is, I was having so much fun with my host siblings singing and dancing in the living room that I lost track of time and started homework too late. That's what happens when you live with the Spanish von Trapps!



Comments

Popular Posts