Adiós España





I can't believe my year in Spain is coming to an end. I feel as if I've just arrived, and at the same time, as if I've lived in Madrid forever. I try to make everything I do last a little longer to savor and remember each and every detail. As I engage in conversation, I listen a little harder, soaking up the beautiful Spanish accent to which I have grown accustomed.

The last day of school is typically filled with emotion, whether it is of great joy being free from homework, or of sorrow, saying goodbye to favorite teachers. But for my Spanish classmates, there is the understanding that everyone will reunite in a few months – that is, except for me. So my farewell is more nostalgic as I walk the hallways for the last time, listen to guitar music during break, swap snacks and plan our final weekend activities. I look back at the main doors as they close behind me, my year in 1º de Bachillerato is over. A transcript sent to my high school is proof of my completed academic year, but knowing I will not return for the last year creates a void in my heart.

I spend my last night at a celebratory BBQ with my host family and friends, and like so many weekend nights, I climb into bed at 4:30 in the morning. The harsh sound of my alarm two hours later wakes me from an inadequate night's sleep and I tuck the last items into my red suitcases before zipping them closed. When we pull into the parking lot of the airport, my emotions start to surface as the reality of leaving weighs heavily. Before entering security, I hug my host family goodbye. I just can't stop hugging them and I keep going back and forth between them until they tell me I'll be late for my flight. All the hugs in the world can't express my love and gratitude for them, and how they perfectly completed my experience in Spain. They are forever my family in Madrid.

On my transatlantic flight, I am suspended in air, both physically and mentally, in between two countries I love: Spain and the USA, and I reflect on this undoubtably life-changing year. I was challenged by cultural differences and misunderstandings, but with perseverance and time, I overcame these obstacles, immersed myself in a new lifestyle and adapted. Spain became comfortable, Spain became familiar, Spain became my home.

I can't imagine my life not having lived in Madrid. Mastering the Spanish language allowed me to dive below the surface of people and develop deep and rewarding friendships. I now find it difficult to adequately express my feelings in a blog as I know over time, my sentiments will evolve and new opinions will emerge. I also know this is just the beginning of a beautiful life-long relationship with Spain and it's people. I feel so utterly blessed to have had this amazing year and I am forever grateful to my mother for taking on the huge project of coordinating an independent year abroad for me.

Queridos amigos, especialmente Juan, Cristina, María, Iván y Cris, significáis mucho para mí, más de lo que habréis imaginado. Estaís en mi corazón para siempre.

Adiós . . .  hasta ahora.

Comments

Popular Posts