¡Me gusta el gazpacho!

If Spain were to have a national soup, it would be chilled tomato-based Gazpacho. Although it's origins are from the Andalusia region in southern Spain, Gazpacho is enjoyed throughout the country all year long, especially in the hot summer months. My current host family has Gazpacho with practically every meal, and their homemade Gazpacho is delicious. But, if you don't have time to make your own, Gazpacho is so popular it is available in paper cartons at grocery stores as it is a staple of the Spanish diet. My favorite brand is Alvalle, and I like to pour it into a glass and chug it down for a quick and easy snack. In addition to traditional Gazpacho, a variation called Salmorejo, also from Andalusia, has a thicker consistency because bread is blended into the tomato and vegetable mixture.

A selection of Gazpacho at the local supermarket

The thicker Salmorejo

I have made it a point to try Gazpacho whenever possible, in restaurants and when prepared by my host families who claim to make the finest in Spain. I liked them all, but my favorite Gazpacho recipe is one from friends I met several years ago who live in Andalusia. I made a few American modifications and have been making it for a couple of years. In fact, I love it so much that it was the inspiration for the name of my blog. And yes, I am swimming in a bowl of my own Gazpacho that I made with the following recipe.

Very smooth Gazpacho

My slightly chunky Gazpacho

Ingredients
7 medium size ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped. (I dip my tomatoes in a pot of boiling water to loosen the skin so it peels off easily)
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
1 cup chopped peeled and seeded red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (from my garden)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (from my garden)
2 cups of tomato juice (this is the American twist)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar 
1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper

Directions
Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until achieving the desired texture. Most Spaniards prefer their Gazpacho very well blended, almost smooth, whereas I like mine with a little texture. Chill the soup for several hours prior to serving.

Buen provecho!

Comments

Popular Posts