My First Host Family

“Will they like me?” “Will I like them?” These are a few thoughts that buzzed in my head as I passed through baggage claim and made my way to the arrival area at the airport in Barcelona.

Any fear or anxiety melted away instantly as I was kissed and greeted by my warm and grinning host family. Conversation was abundant on the way home and continued through the large family luncheon. Within hours, I felt as if the parents, Marcos and Silvia, treated me as one of their own. I was completely at ease, making jokes with my host sisters, Miriam and Carlota, and my younger host brother, Marcos. Not surprisingly, Marcos is a huge soccer fan, and I find it hilarious to see this super energetic boy run all over the house with his soccer ball. I’ve already had to jump and duck out of the way to avoid a few hits.


My host family’s apartment is conveniently located nearby Passeig de Gràcia, a popular shopping area that is quite animated. For the past few days, Carlota, Miriam and their friends have been showing me around their neighborhood. We entered many trendy boutiques, delicious food stores, and we went to the movies to see Despicable Me – Marcos insisted on this movie! Not only did I enjoy hearing minions speak Spanish, but was thrilled to join in the post-movie conversation with my host sisters and share my opinions about the movie. I guess I’m making progress. 


My family in Barcelona

Popular Posts