Corn on the cob - delicioso!

By the beach in Valencia I found the most inviting little food stand. Perhaps for the famous Valencia oranges? No, for corn on the cob! Being an American, how could this not excite me? In Spain, corn is typically eaten in salads and in soups, while corn on the cob is reserved for livestock, so this is the first time I’ve seen Spaniards eat corn on the cob.

At the stand, the cobs are grilled directly over hot coals that leave black marks on the cobs, which are then rotated in olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkled with salt. Maybe it’s being in a foreign country and eating something that reminds me of home, but that corn on the cob on the boardwalk of Valencia’s beaches, tasted better than any corn on the cob I have ever eaten - delicioso!

The corn stand

Grilling the corn directly on hot coals

My new favorite beach snack

Comments

Popular Posts