¡Viva España!

As I returned from an errand Saturday morning, I found myself walking up stream as hundreds of people headed down Calle de Goya waving Spanish flags. I quickly learned that they were going to a demonstration at Plaza de Colón to support a unified Spain. This, of course, was in direct response to last Sunday's vote in the province of Catalonia to separate from Spain (which is considered to be illegal by the Spanish government).

The minute I walked in the door of our apartment, I told my mother and we decided to partake in the demonstratin for "educational purposes." Wearing the colors of mustard and ketchup, we joined the crowds heading to the plaza.  Unlike demonstrations that I've seen on TV, this demonstration was joyful, peaceful and upbeat as families and groups of friends gathered to celebrate their nationality. Songs were song and "¡Vive España!" was frequently chanted with great enthusiasm.

The 50,000 people attending the demonstration are proud of their Spanish heritage and to them, it is inconceivable that any Spanish province would not want to be part of this beautiful country.





Comments

Popular Posts