City Living

Adjusting to living in an apartment in the center of Madrid took me about . . . ten seconds. Seriously, that's all.

Whereas some people might focus on the negatives of a smaller living space and limited outdoor access, I view them as positives. Living in a tiny apartment helps me live more efficiently and lighter in terms of belongings and clothing. I have long admired Marie Kondo, author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, and feel for the first time I actually applied her strategies to my lifestyle. When only given two feet of closet space, it's pretty easy to part with those items that don't "spark joy," as Kondo says. And I have also discovered that I am more creative with my outfits when limited to fewer items. And let's not forget the plus of a small living space - less cleaning, and I'm all for that.

Walking on Calle Goya
However, the biggest plus of living in the center of a city, is having access to everything within a few blocks, not to mention the doctor and lawyer offices located on lower floors of my apartment building. By crossing only one street, I have access to everything I need to live: grocery and speciality food stores, restaurants, cafés, ice cream shops, juice bars, pharmacies, clothing stores of every type for everyone; stores that sell sporting goods, musical instruments, hardware, books, pet products and more, as well as all the needed services: banks, seamstress, copy shop, cobblers, dry clearner, movie theater, and many more . . . all this within one to three minutes of walking out my apartment door! 

Within a six block perimeter, my options grow even grander. Not only is this conducive for convenience, it gives me great independence and saves time. And this all helps me stay in greater shape, especially when taking the stairs to our apartment on the sixth floor.

For nature and open greenery, I go to the Parque del Buen Retiro, only five blocks away. At this large park, half the size of New York's Central Park, I play tennis weekly, take weekend strolls and enjoy boating with friends on the large pond by the Alfonso XII monument.

Boating in Parque del Buen Retiro with friends
No mater where one lives in Madrid, there is easy access to the public transportation system, and my monthly student pass only costs 20 euros. Although the metro is popular with both locals and tourists,  I have learned to master the bus system, and can easily navigate my way throughout Madrid without going underground. The advantages of buses over the metro trains are great: fewer pickpockets, no long corridors, and windows with a view of the city instead of dark tunnel walls. Of course there is downside - sometimes I'm so intrigued by what I see, I am tempted to get off the bus before my stop to investigate!

Here's my bus
Ultimately, city-living provides ease, convenience, time efficiency, entertainment and exercise, and it is definitely my dwelling place of choice.

Comments

Popular Posts