My Spring Host Family


In April, I moved in with a new host family with whom I am living until I return home at the end of June. During my year abroad, I have been blessed to live with exceptional families who shed great insight into the Spanish culture and lifestyle, and although each of the families is different, I see similarities among all of them.

My host parents have four children; two older sons who are away at college, and two girls, one in 7th grade and the other is a good friend from my grade. They are warm and inviting and to my good fortune, my mother is a Spanish version of Martha Stewart! However, when I told them this, my host father immediately looked her up on the Internet and the father asked, "My wife reminds you of a criminal who went to jail?" After clearing up that minor default in her career, I showed them all the positive aspects of Martha Stewart, and she clearly was pleased with the compliment.

From left to right: Cristina, José María, Cristina (Mom), Ivan, María and Ivan (Dad)

My host family is always on the move and bring me along as they explore new city restaurants, go shopping, see cultural exhibits or attend a play. One morning, on a day that we didn't have school, my host mother woke us up and announced we were going on an excursion outside of Madrid to zip-line! I have been on the go since I arrived here.

Maria and I enjoying ice cream after school, looking forward to changing out of our school uniforms.

Maria and I visiting her brother, Ivan, at college.

I love living with my classmate, Maria, who is one of the funniest and easy going people I know. Although she may laugh at some of my Americanized outfits, she takes the time to explain and show me the details of dressing like a Spaniard. Apart from teaching me the Spanish style, Maria also further introduces me to the social life of teenagers in Spain. My younger host sister is a riot and is always looking to have fun. I feel so comfortable here as this family has welcomed me as one of their own.

Although, I still live in the city of Madrid, I am further from the center and only an eight minute drive from school, which is convenient. For the first time, I am in a house, and within their gated community there is a large pool, which is great as the weather now is warm and sunny.

Watching Real Madrid win the Euro Cup!

Celebrating the Euro Cup victory at Plaza de Cibeles

There has been one consistent theme among all the families who have hosted me, and that is joy. Spaniards are a happy people who love life and sharing their happiness with others. And when their soccer team wins big tournaments, they are even happier.

Viva my host families, and Viva España!

Comments

Popular Posts